Family Law Cases
For advice on a Family Law issue, if you do not yet have a case pending and/or have questions before filing a petition, please see the Family Court Help Desk.
If you have a petition pending/upcoming court date and are looking for representation, the Volunteer Lawyers Project handles a number of cases involving Family Law, such as:
- Divorce (see Divorce page for additional information)
- Child Support (VLP only provides representation when opposing party has an attorney; VLP does not handle violation petitions)
- Non-parent custody/visitation petitioners (parents in custody/visitation cases: please see Assigned Counsel)
- Guardianship of children
- Stand-by Guardianship of children
- Guardianship of mentally challenged and developmentally disabled persons (SCPA Article 17-A)
Potential clients should telephone our office to set up an appointment. Initial review of your case will occur over the telephone, and will include financial eligibility screening (VLP assists low-income clients). Clients are not seen without an appointment. Please call (716) 847-0662 ext. 324 and leave your name, number and a brief message containing your legal concern.