Family Law Cases
For advice on a Family Law issue, if you do not have a case pending or have questions before filing a petition, please come see us in–person at the Family Court Help Desk (click for more information and hours of operation).
If you have a petition pending or upcoming court date and are looking for representation, the Volunteer Lawyers Project handles a variety of Family Law and Divorce cases, for example:
- See Divorce for additional information;
- Child Support
- Non-parent custody or visitation petitions (parents in custody or visitation cases, please see Assigned Counsel);
- Guardianship of Children;
- Stand-by Guardianship of Children; and
- Guardianship of mentally challenged and developmentally disabled persons (SCPA Article 17-A).
Potential clients please call our office to set up an appointment.
Initial review of your case will occur over the telephone and will include financial eligibility screening (VLP primarily assists low-income clients).
Please call (716) 847-0662 ext. 324 and leave your name, number, and a brief message identifying your legal issue.
Clients are not seen without an appointment.